Saturday, August 9, 2008

All those people.

They are so important. Maybe I don't mean important, maybe I mean significant. Those significant people, those key people, that no matter how much time goes by; sure, they settle down, you move away, you stop calling, you rarely email. You don't make plans; when you see them its awesome but its always by chance. You'll never ever forget them, bu then you rarely really think of them either, always idly, always "I wonder how so and so is?" The connection is special and important, even though you don't stay in touch, even though you suddenly realize my God, has been two years since I talked with whoever? I wonder...

One of my significant people died last month. He apparently had a little bump on hs tongue that he finally went and got looked at. It was a tumor, of course. On one Friday in April they called it malignant and by that Tuesday it was cancer of the tongue, jaw, neck, lymph and both lungs. Immemdiate, aggressive, poisonous chemo recommended, four days a week. There was no hope whatsoever of it having any curative value; merely to give him some little time with his wife and his two children, 7 and 5. They gave him a month. He died a t home July 14th.

I'm seeing mutual friends next week and I'm sure they will catch me up and that we will cry together, but you know how I found out? I was having a slow day at work yesterday and I Googled him.

He was dead before I knew he was sick.

I did not know I was this good a touch typist because I am blind right now. Someday later this week I will write more about my friend, all the good stuff. In the meanwhile, may I take the opportunity to say that if you are one of my seven or eight readers then I know you by name and I love you?

4 comments:

RebaAnn said...

Holy crap, babe. I'm so sorry - I'll call you later.

smilingjim said...

Hi Higgins,

I'm so sorry that one of your friends died. You are so right, we just lose touch sometimes. That is a horrible way to find out about a friend. But, what you said at the end was very beautiful, and we all love you back. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, Marie, Mom, Patricia, Erin, Morgan, Aric and I say hi. :)

Love you!

Higgins said...

Oh, Jeez, guys, thanks. God Bless ya!