Thursday, May 8, 2008

Hmmmmmm...Jamocha Almond Fudge...

A moment of silence in honor of Irvine Robbins, co-founder of Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors, who died this week at the age of 90. One hopes it was quietly in his sleep, and not from Creamy Delicious Hardening of the Arteries. Original Flavors included Rocky Road, Lemon Crisp, Vanilla Burnt Almond, and Cherry Macaroon. My favorite historical specialty: Baseball Nut, designed to commemorate the Dodgers move to LA in 1958. Vanilla, peanuts and raspberries for the umpires.

One of the original 31 was also Egg Nog. Nobody's Perfect.

On one of my young birthdays, five or six I suppose, I got an ice cream cake from Baskin- Robbins that looked like a watermelon; green frosting with with pink cake and mint chocolate chip on the inside. For that reason alone I hope very much that Irvine Robbins receives free samples in the great Ice Cream Parlour in the Sky forever.

1 comment:

smilingjim135 said...

I'm not the least bit surprised that we are having a "moment of silence, for Irvine Robbins". Between you and your sister, nothing surprises me any more. I would have loved to be there for the cake that looked like a watermelon. I love mint chocolate chip. Have a great day!