Friday, May 9, 2008

I'd rather steal the pot than turn a trick

I am reading a fantastic book. It's called The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World. It a memoir of the year he spent reading the entire 124 volume Encyclopedia Britannica. It is chock full of trivia and snark, which I have always considered two of my best things. Such my book. You may look forward to many fun facts based on the Encyclopedia Britannica

For example, according to the EB all card games can be classified as one of two types: games based on rank (like bridge) or games based on combinations (like poker). Now I do not believe any of those "there are two kinds of people in the world..." theories, but if I were given to facile explanations for human behavior (especially as seen around the Wountry Wub) it is tempting and easy to develop a complete theory of people based on what kind of card games they like.

I have always hated rank games. Hate bridge, hate spades, hate pinochle. True story: I once made out with I guy I had sworn to myself not to touch because it seemed like the only way to get him to stop trying to teach me euchre. I like poker, rummy, Uno, where a ton of lucky threes can beat royalty. You see how this social theory practically writes itself?

It could certainly explain the Bridge Coven. This is my affectionate name for the women that come out to the Wub every day---every single day---and play Bridge for 4 to 6 hours---daily. Maybe they love bridge so much because they are obsessed with rank. Maybe they are ranking everything, putting a value on everything, including the quality of the free cookies they get and who else gets to come in and play bridge in the same room at the same time. Whereas I roll with the theory that a lucky combination can hit anything or anybody at anytime and that's all that distinguishes anyone from anybody else.

Like I said, a facile and dumb theory, of course, but a healthy attitude to try to adopt, especially this morning when Mrs. Iwsfhcitdwtw finally made her reservation for Mother's Day.

No she isn't Welsh; its an acronym for "I would sooner fellate a hot curling iron than deal with that woman."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

according to my email signature,there are three kinds of people in the world...those who can do math and those who can't :)

smilingjim135 said...

What are you going to do to a hot curling iron? I would love to see what this Coven looks like, at the Wub. What is euchre, and how did it turn out with the guy? Have a great weekend!