Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sorry I haven't been in touch

Higgins has been at home, sick in the bed with some sinus-y, upper respiratory/bronchial thing. You'd think Higgins really was a bassett hound what with all the snuffling I've been doing, but Higgins is not. Higgins is an ex-smoker who is pissed off because I quit and it sucked and I was never supposed to get sick again, certainly not sick in the same way smoking made me sick.

Balls.

Anyway, all I did for four days was lay around on the couch watching summer TV at all hours of the day and night, so here it is: Higgins' Bullet Point Television Review!!!

  • Man, there is a lot of TV. A solid 85% of it is pretty bad, but you can usually find something on.
  • I have recently discovered and become enchanted by Eureka on the Sci-Fi channel.
  • Why would Turner Classic Movies show Citizen Kane at 2:00 in the morning? And I have to say that AMC has vastly lowered its definition of what is a classic (I'm talking to you, Children of the Corn II)
  • Here are some commercial actors who are good in their commercials:
  • -The red headed chick who doesn't know how much to pay for a deductible (State Farm)
  • -The black dude who revokes your ticket to the High Life (For 13 dollars I'll be a macademia nut)
  • -All those yahoos at the Holiday Inn breakfast bar
  • -The restaurant pirate for Free Credit Report.com
  • The Closer stays good.
  • VH-1 as an entity should be arrested and put in jail.
  • Shark Week gets better every year. There is some craaaaazy shit going down on Shark Week.

Although I am distressed by the growing number of shark apologists. I do not wish to feel that these misunderstood creatures of the deep have gotten a bad rap; I wish to fear and loathe them. Although, quite comically, I did hear one nature filmographer very clearly yell "Go, little guy!" in the midst of a horrifying seal chase.

Also, I am waiting for the interview where someone says "Well, yes, actually, it kinda has ruined surfing for me. I will never get in any body of water again unless it has a drain and a soapdish. For further details, I invite you to consult the teeth marks in my back. What a stupid question!"

In somewhat related news, I am waiting for the lottery press conference where the winner says "Fuck yeah, I'm gonna quit my job! This is my 2 minutes notice! What a stupid question!"

6 comments:

RebaAnn said...

I'm glad that Higgins is feeling better. Furthermore, I agree that both VH-1 and MTV jumped the shark (get it?) when they quit showing actual videos.

Anonymous said...

YAY Eureka is the shizznit!

cbbean said...

Ok, so this comment is a little late, but interesting. First, on Tuesday of Shark Week, Dirty Jobs starred my boyfriend's boss for his post-doc at the U of Windsor, Aaron Fisk. It was totally cool to see someone on TV after having stayed in their house and cheered-on their kid at his youth hockey match. Second, The Closer is the best thing on TV and the only thing I have no guilt when I stop dissertation work to watch - AND Rebecca won't watch it because "Brenda Lee has problems."

RebaAnn said...

Not problems, issues. And I really don't watch it because I'm just not that interested.

Higgins said...

I would like to touch you because you have probaby touched someone who has been close enough to touch Mike Rowe who for my money is the hottest thing going.

smilingjim said...

I'm very sorry that you were feeling bad, but I'm glad that you were able to get some rest. I agree with you about AMC. When I first started watching that channel, they didn't have any commercials. Also, they had a much better line-up of movies(something like TCM).